Pages

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Am I Scared Of My Horse?

Hey!
So, I'm with my Dad for 3 weeks, and he's only taking me to 1 riding lesson within that time so yeah... My apologies for the lack of posts. I am going to ride on Tuesday, so I'll probably post then.  
           I'm going to try to convince my stepbrother to come to my riding lesson, because I've been to SO MANY of his baseball games and practices. (Every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, Fall and Spring.) Going to one of my riding lessons wouldn't kill him, would it? Now, what I'd like to talk about is this: I think I'm scared of Tuesday. (Not the day, my horse's name is Tuesday.) Here's why.

     The first time I rode Tuesday, she broke into a gallop and threw her head down. Which obviously freaked me out. Long story short, I flew over her neck and hurt my ankle pretty bad. Luckily, it wasn't  broken. So, even though I wasn't hurt horribly, I was terrified. Now, I can't help but hold the reins a little stiffly and sort of freak out when Tuesday does anything different then a simple trot.
      Am I scared of my horse? I think so. How do I fix this? I have no clue. It's like I totally forget all I've learned when I get on Tuesday. Don't get me wrong, I love her, she's a wonderful horse. I love going to see her and I will talk to her and pet her in her stall for hours, but riding her? That's a little more difficult.

      I'm going to have to at least canter her at some point, but how? What do I do to get rid of my fear? Let me know any advice you may have in the comments. Bye!

~Tenley
Have you ever been scared of a particular horse, or just horses in general?

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are having a hard time! I know dogs are different than horses, but I used to be terrified of my dog. Whenever I tried to walk her, she would jump on me and pull me around. At the time, she was stronger than me. She thought it was a game. Finally, I read some books on training dogs and dog behavior. I used what I had learned to help calm her down and now she is the sweetest dog! Maybe reading some books on horse behavior and talking to people who have had a horse for a while would help? :)
    Clara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, dogs and horses do have things in common. Hmm... Thanks for the tips!

      Delete
    2. No problem! :)

      Delete